Total Pageviews

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Kynochs armaments factory, Arklow, County Wicklow, Ireland

A group of employees of Kynochs LTD, Arklow c1914
Some time ago, I was given a picture by my Auntie Kathleen of a picture of a group of people, it looked like a professional group picture taken a long time ago.
I was informed by my aunt that it was a group taken from an armament factory, and that her sisters Mary and Sarah Curran were in the picture, I had little to go on, as Kathleen did not know where this photograph was taken, we assumed that it was in the south of England because there is documentary proof that Mary and Sarah had lived in London during the first world war, they worked as bus conductors, or clippies as they were called then. It always struck me that the group looked very Irish and that is why it always puzzled me.
After a couple of years staring at the picture, I finally presented the picture to my Father, Dermot Curran, who said that he felt that the picture may have been taken in County Wicklow during the beginning of the first world war. At this point I decided to put the picture on a web genealogy forum and beggar the question: Was there an armaments factory in County Wicklow in the First World War? Not too long after I got a couple of responses, particularly one from a lady called Cara, I don’t know her second name. She informed me that this was a picture that had hung on the wall of Arklow library, she said that this was a factory just outside Arklow, I was given a few links and started to look around, it turned out that there was quite the major factory, producing mainly cordite charges for late Victorian and early twentieth century cannon, and also for mining charges. The company had a very rocky history in Ireland, with many industrial accidents taking place there, with a large number of deaths, it was estimated that during the first world war, due to increased demand for cordite on the western front, that there was on average one serious accident per week, many people were injured by acid and burning related accidents, even a few were actually blown up.
During the First World War, the company which employed around 300 pre war, moved its employee numbers up to over 5000 employees. In its heyday the factory also comprised of 200 buildings, During this time there was a massive explosion in the factory killing 27 employees, and injuring dozens more, various theories abound, one saying that it was a German U-boat that bombarded the factory as a military target, but it was officially thought that it was an industrial accident.
I must say that it has really made quite fascinating reading in my research for this picture, and really paints a picture of a bygone era, when health and safety issues that we hold sacred today, were not so sacred back then, and through the whole belief of just holding onto a job, and maybe the naivety of having the knowledge of the perils of the substances being handled.
At this point I would like to thank my Auntie Kathleen, who originally passed on a copy of the picture to me, Cara who gave me the relevant info to post a decent blog from what she told me on rootschat, and also the various websites, which I have researched my information from, please take a look at them, it is quite a fascinating insight into pre independent Irelands contributions to the empires war efforts.


8 comments:

  1. Hey Pete,

    This is really fascinating stuff! I've been researching munitions factories in Ireland myself, but this is the first time I've come across someone mentioning a family member having worked there. Do you know anywhere I could find more research or information, because I'd love to find out more about these individual women and their personal stories,

    Thanks, and again, really interesting post!
    Ker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete,
    I'm working on a project for BBC about this factory. Would love to speak to you about this photo - could you email me on helen dot toland at bbc dot co dot uk.
    Thanks!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi helen,
    i live in Arklow and have lots mountains of information that you are free to use. I would be delighted to be of help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Colin where can I get info re casualties at factory in Arklow , my 2x great grandad was blinded in an explosion there . Thanks Pauline Wolohan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pauline, Sorry for the delay, aybe contact Colin O'Reilly who has posted a comment here. I think it's possible to contact him through Blogger.
    Thanks for your interest in my page.
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a memorial in St. Gabriels cemetary naming those who died in the various explosions in the Kynochs factory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edfitz
      Thanks for your reply to my post, maybe you could give a link and we could see the picture of the memorial?
      All the best
      Pete

      Delete
  7. Are there any records of employees giving dates of employment at Kynoch's? My grandfather worked there as a draughtsman approx 1917 and may be entered as Frank Martin or Frank Burgess.
    Cormac O'Hanrahan

    ReplyDelete