Total Pageviews

Monday 23 May 2011

Going back further with the Currans

At this point now I begin to know a little less about the Currans, I will tell all I know, but alot of it is kind of assumption on my own behalf, and of course, as I have said in every other blog I have done, if you can add or elaborate to this information, I am most grateful. Unfortunately with the Curran aspect of my genealogy, I have had to go looking for myself, have found plenty of stuff, and met plenty of individuals, whom I am most thankful for the information they have given me. I have not gone back any further than what was already known. But on the positive side, I have added alot more meat to the bones, as family historians seem to say alot, it is that meat that I will now talk about.
Frank Curran, My Great Grandfather, I am pretty sure is from Drumphea, as is his siblings, but I have always felt that his father, Martin (1788-1860) was from Knocklonagad, even though it is at the bottom of the hill from Drumphea, it is actually under a different parish, I am lead to believe that it is of the parish of Bagenalstown, because there is a number of people buried over in Dunleckney cemetery who are from Knocklonagad. Saying that, there are also people in Drumphea from there too. On this point, there are a number of Currans in Dunleckney cemetery, the old cemetery for Bagenalstown. Though there is one particular, who’s grave inscribes:
“Erected by Michael Curren of Knocklonagad in memory of his father Michael Curren who depd this life the 14th of Oct 1829 aged 69 years”
I have read elsewhere of Currans in the early days in Knocklonagad, and not in Drumphea, so I am going to go with this one as being my GGGGF. But then where do I go now?
On another front, I discovered through parish records, that Francis, my GGF, had many siblings, at least a dozen, back in the mid 1800’s there are loads of them being born and married, all with their home being registered as Drumphea. But when you go to Drumphea cemetery, there is only one branch of Currans, with a few small off shoots, like in Sliguff and Rathnageera. But as for all the other ones????
Here is a table of Francis’ siblings, and what I know of them.

Name
YOB
Francis
1815
Martin
1821
Anne

John
1808
Mary

Patrick

Jane

Bridget

Ellen

Anna

Sally

Margaret



Francis, we know all about, John, his brother definitely lived in Dublin, though I don’t know where, I know that John was married to Sarah Moore, and they married in the Drumphea area, as they had their first four children at least in Sheean and Drumphea between 1851 and 1860, In Johns grave in Glasnevin cemetery he has a number of infants buried with him and his wife, as well as their own children, there are grand nephew and niece, who are coincidently my uncle and aunt Patrick and Bridget Curran, who both died young. I was very fortunate to find this grave, apparently, many other Currans have looked but never found it, and I did! John’s sons gave me a direction to find more Dublin Currans, mainly dotted around the south city. One of the son’s martin coincidently is buried with my uncle Frank Curran in the cemetery too. I have always thought that my grandfather Martin Curran came up to Dublin with the knowledge that he would have initial lodging with his Uncle John in the 1880’s. As john was well established here.  Yet none of the modern Currans are aware of this branch, and they would have been present at Frank’s funeral.
Of the other of franks siblings, I have a few details about who they married or their children, so here it is. Martin, his brother is buried in Drumphea, and lived in Sliguff, with his wife Alicia Nolan, who was from Ballon, and is now buried in Ballon cemetery.
Mary Curran was married to Thomas Fitzgerald, and they had two children. Patrick was married to Mary Hogan, and they had two children. Jane was married to John Hays, and they had one child. Bridget was married to Andrew Murphy, and they had one child in Drumphea. Then that’s about it with them.
It has been said in some quarters that my Grandfather Curran and his wife were related before they married, that they were first cousins, the theory was that she was a niece of Sarah Doyle, Margaret was from Ballypierce, Sarah was from Bealalaw, these are two completely different Doyle families, like Nolan, Doyle is a really common name around those parts, I was told by a man named Nolan recently, that there were six Nolan households in Drumphea recently, and none of them are actually related.
Going onto another generation, my GGGF, Martin Curran had a brother called Patrick who had two children.
Talking about My GGGF Martin, I was recently sent a copy of a notice that was posted on the wall of Drumphea church and part of it refers to him.....
Threatening Notice posted at the Chapel gate at Drumphea, Carlow on Sunday 30th September 1827.
Take notice Frank Dillon, William O'Neal of Garryhill the Catholicks and your Church cannot agree by no means,-- I must remark all Landlords of this County to look into the state of their tenants at large but I send this as such to Dillon who has done he is worse than Paul Jones that robbed the seas, he robbed Michael Nowlan of Garryhill of his natural support , we will be the better after dealing with Thomas Bradley whether to kill him or let him live and other men, subjects to his majesty's crown.
You are a devil and you are worse than the rean of Queen Bess who persecuted the church but do not be mistaken but that Martin Curran of Drumphea will die first and then William Byrne and also Glass eye Pat Kelly for it is neither sin or shame to walk in Streams of crimson blood for you living --the Hanibal and Caesar and Alexander and Boneapart waded in streams of crimson in the field of battle and the common private Soldier who fite for their living ~~ Why not men in Ireland slain before them . Now in the name of God I do charge and command you that bought at Michael Nowlans cant (auction) to have your choice to be served like Bishop Mara's brother in Kilkenny who was shot as he rode from his own door. Dillon you do not know how soon some may walk into your house and kill you in your own bed and likewise O'Neal so if you attempt stirring Michael Nowlan out of his place your done - and whether or not you stand in great danger you will be deprived of Curran if he does not give up his post. Anymore doing rongs from this out be warned of loosing his life.
Anyman seen taking down this notice will be dealt with.
[ Note added 2011. The warning notice, tied to the church gate pillar, was removed by Bryan Cosgrave of Garryhill and brought to Mr Dillon. Another warning pasted to the wall of Drumphea Chapel was removed by Martin Curran who gave it to Denis Coogan. Both warnings was brought to the attention of local Magistrate, Adam.B. Feltus of Hollybrook, who contacted James Stokes, Sub-Constable. Stokes went to Rathnegerha where he met Richard Holmes and found a book with pages torn out that matched the Notices, he interviewed three of his sons,Thomas, Laurence and James, he then arrested another son, Christopher, whom he noted ‘reads and writes well’
Many thanks to Terry Curran, who passed this onto me, from the Purcell Papers. Terry Curran incidentally is another family historian who is researching Currans in Carlow, as yet our Currans have not connected, His ones are in Carlow town, not too far away. I am sure that they are related, but going way back, one day we will stumble upon something, but it is just a matter of waiting,

No comments:

Post a Comment