Total Pageviews

Thursday 26 May 2011

Going further back with the O'Rorkes

                        

  My grandfather, Michael O’Rorke
Next up is my O’Rorke and Cooke grandparents and their ancestors. Amazingly enough, with the O’rorkes, I have had the facility to trace a direct line back to a man called Muirdeach Tireach, who was born in 310AD, the route is as follows..
Descendants of Muirdeach Tireach
1.       Muirdeach Tireach(born Abt AD310)
2.       Eochu Mugmedon(D abt AD360)
3.       Brion (Ancestor of Ui Briuin of Connaught)
4.       Duach Galach
5.       Eoghan Sreibh
6.       Muiredeach Mal
7.       Fergus(May have been Muiredeach Mals brother)
8.       Fergna
9.       Aedh Find
10.   Scanlan
11.   Crimhthann
12.   Fedlim
13.   Blaithmac
14.   Baithin
15.   Donchadh
16.   Dub Dothra (D AD743)
17.   Cernach (Or Cearnachan)
18.   Sellachan
19.   Tighernain Mac Seallachan Ua Ruarc (King of Breffni 888, B abt 830)
20.   Ruarc Mac Tighernain Ui Briun Breffni Ua Ruarc (King of Breffni 893)
21.   Art  Mac Ruarc Ui Briun Breifne(B875)
22.   Sean Fearghaill Ua Ruairc(1st Ruairc king of Connacht)
23.   Aedh Mac Sean Fearghaill O’Ruairc(King of Breifne 1015)
24.   Art Uallach(oirdnide) O’Ruairc(2nd king of Connacht B965)
25.   Niall Mac Airt O’Ruairc(King of Breifne 1047)
26.   Ualgharg Mac Niall O’Ruairc (B1010)
27.   Tighernain Mac Ualgairg O’Ruairc(B1035)
28.   Domnall Mac Tighernain O’Ruairc(4th King of Connacht)
29.   Fergal Mac Tighernain(5th King of Connacht 1157)
30.   Domhnaill Mac Ferhaile(Lord 1207)
31.   Art Mac Domhnaill(King of Breifne 1209-1210)
32.   Amlaib Mac Airl (King of Breifne 1257-1258)
33.   Domhnaill Charrach Mac Amlaib(King Of Breifne 1307-1311)
34.   Ualgharg Mac Domhnaill Charraig(King of Breifne 1316-1346)
35.   Tighernain Mor Mac Ualgharg(King of Breifne 1376-1418)
36.   Tadhg Mac Tighernain Mhorn(king of breifne 1419-1435)
37.   Tighernain Og Mac Mhoirn(King of Breifne 1449-1468)
38.   Eoghan Mac Tighernain(B1468, D1528. King of Breifne 1500-1528)
39.   Brian Ballach Mor(D1562, King of Breifne 1528-1562)
40.   Tigheaman Ban(D abt 1629)
41.   Eoghan Mor(D abt 1661)
42.   Eoghan Og(Chief in 1662)
43.   Donnchadh
44.   Sean
45.   Rev Thaddeus O’Rorke (D1799)
46.   Rev John O’Rorke(1776-1849, Married three times and had many children)
47.   Michael O’Rorke(B abt 1815 Co Galway)
48.   Thomas O’Rorke(B 1842 Dunmore, Co Galway)
49.   Michael O’Rorke(B 1873 D1929 Vicarstown, Queens County(Laois))
50.   Mary O’Rorke(B 1927 Waterford)
To me this shows that my children can look back fifty two generations, it means that muirdeach tireach is my children’s Great(50X)Grandfather. I haven’t even started to look about these people yet, and know absolutely nothing about them other than the fact that were from Breffni, which was an ancient province of Ireland, and that some of them were kings of Breffni and even Connaght.
I’ll tell what I know at this moment, my mother’s father, Michael was born in county Laois, his father, Thomas was a policeman in the RIC, though he was originally from Dunmore in county Galway. He was redeployed many times during his career, so ended up having children in different counties, Tipperary, Waterford, Carlow and Laois, from what I know. He married Mary Heraghty from Vicarstown.
The children were.....
Michael James 1876, Vicarstown, Laois
Mary Teresa 1899, County Tipperary
Cecelia Frances, 1884, County Carlow
Rose Anna, 1878,
Anne Kate, 1891, county Tipperary
Thomas Patrick, 1880, Sallypark, Waterford city
Of these, I only know of one who married and that was Mary Teresa who was a duff at the time of her father’s death. As she was the registered reporter of his death, in Ballymore Eustace in county Kildare. I will in time come to this end of my family, but at present I am concentrating on my Curran side.
Going back to Michael, he has been seen as a civil servant, a junior clerk and a sergeant major in the British army during the First World War. He had travelled quite widely around to, between Britain and all over Ireland, here is his obituary, to sum him up in other words.
“A popular and much esteemed figure has just passed away in the person of Michael j O’Rorke of lady lane. The deceased was well known in musical circles in Waterford, being a member of the Waterford instrumental society, and one of the orchestra at the local cinema, where performances on the double bass were always appreciated. In his earlier days he was an official of the land commission department, before he joined the royal army pay corps, retired at the rank of sergeant major. In post war days he joined the staff of local income tax departments, where he was engaged upwards of seven years. He was also a keen student of the Irish language, at which he was proficient as a fluent speaker, and always wore his insignia of the fainne. He leaves a widow and three children to mourn his loss, and with them as with many other members of his family, sincere sympathy is felt in their sad bereavement.”

Michael’s father, Thomas, as you know was a policeman from Dunmore, County Galway. He was born there back in 1844, his parents were Michael O’Rorke and  Margaret McDermott, around this area O’Rorkes owned alot of land, and so too do the McDermott’s. This led to the fact that Michael’s father was Reverend John O’Rorke who is the first step back into the big line of O’Rorkes.

I know that Rev. John owned thousands of acres, and going back in the past, the O’Rorkes had moved from county Leitrim after being driven out by the Normans, they moved initially to the Moylough area, but obviously spread out to where my GGGF Michael lived in Dunmore. The Breffni O’Rorkes are quite a major player in pre Norman Irish history, and it will be interesting in the future to gain more knowledge on them.



12 comments:

  1. I am delighted but after reading this post about the o rourks. I know now that mary threse duff from ballymore eustsce married mg is my great great granfather john cooke. But im still trying to track back my great great granfather fsther william and mother mary back. Thank you so much for this extra information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa,
      Thank you for the reply to my long neglected blog, I must get back into it. The reporter of my GGF Thomas O'Rorke was Mary Terese Duff, I have seen the death cert. Though I do believe he is buried in Arles in Laois, I haven't been there yet. I was though in Ballymore Eustace about 6 years ago, and had a look around the rundown cemetery in the town, no joy or connection for me.
      What I am really interested in though is the Cooke connection, my Grandmother was Bridget Cooke from county kilkenny. I can connect my cookes to Paulstown, SHankill, Kilmacow, Thomastown all in the county, Carlow town(painstown/royal oak) and Dublin city, all going back over 150 years? does any of this sound familiar to you?
      Have you been in touch with Kieran Cooke regarding your family line, he has traced the Cooke name(Ireland wide) back to the 1500's, I am still looking for a connection to his line, but we a re definitely related, apparently all Cookes in Ireland with at least 100 years family history in Irelland would be.
      Looking forward tio hearing from you.
      Pete

      Delete
  2. I think one of my relatives met up with kieran cooke before. But i would love to be able to contact him myself. My family tree on the cooke side has a bridget cooke included on it. Im not sure but by looking at my fsmily tree i csnt figure out whether bridget cooke was a daughter of my gggf and gggm john cooke and mary Duff as she is refered to in name on our family tree. I know william cooke i think was a son of mary duff and john cooke also and moved to america.william cooke would also either be a half brother to bridget or full not sure as my gggf john cooke married twice in his life and mary duff was his first wife.i found their marriage cert znd it took place in ballymore eustace kildare. It was from that I found the names of my gggf parents william and mary. Which is where im stuck in my research now.
    I wonder is the bridget cooke you mentioned the same bridget cooke i am referring too. It is a strange the way she registered her fathers death in ballymore eustscd. Which makes me think it was my gggf she was registering john cooke. Which means she is probslly his daughter from one of his marriages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really appreciate it if you would have more information about Bridget cooke that could help me with my researh. My email is velizabethc1@hotmail.com if you wish to contact me via email as well. Also i would really sppreciate it if uou havd contact ingogmstion for kieran cooke.

      Delete
    2. Hi Vanessa
      I think your Bridget Cooke and my Bridget Cooke are two different people, My Grandmother Bridget was born in Kilmacow, near Waterford city in 1896, from John Cooke and Joanna Kelter, with roots going back to at least the 1830's in that local area.
      At the moment the only connection I have to Ballymore Eustace is O'Rorke, this would have been my Bridgets father in law, who death was registered there by his daughter named Mary Duff. This O'Rorke was from Galway Originally, became a policeman in the RIC and travelled extensively, having children in Laois, Tipperary, Waterford and Carlow counties. QUite a hard one to track, though interesting fills out the 1911 census in Irish, which is really unusual at the time.
      I will send Kieran an email for him to contact you, I haven't been in touch with him for a while, so we'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  5. Thanks very much i appreciate it. I look forward to hearing from kieran soon. If i have dny more luck ill post it hear.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much i appreciate it. I look forward to hearing from kieran soon. If i have dny more luck ill post it hear.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I believe this is my Grandmother. My mom Patricia Helen O'Rorke was born 1939 in Bournemouth , England. Her mother was Bridie O'Rorke formerly known as Cooke according to the birth certificate.Bridie was not living with Mr. O'Rorke when my mother was born. My mom was told that she had half sisters and that Bridie was in her 40's aprox when she was born.If anyone has any information they can share with me I would be eternally grateful. Sincerely Sean Patrick.
    Sadams_1963@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sean I'll send you an email tomorrow, sounds good
      Pete

      Delete
  8. Hello, I believe this is my Grandmother. My mom Patricia Helen O'Rorke was born 1939 in Bournemouth , England. Her mother was Bridie O'Rorke formerly known as Cooke according to the birth certificate.Bridie was not living with Mr. O'Rorke when my mother was born. My mom was told that she had half sisters and that Bridie was in her 40's aprox when she was born.If anyone has any information they can share with me I would be eternally grateful. Sincerely Sean Patrick.
    Sadams_1963@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete