Total Pageviews

Saturday 21 May 2011

my grandads siblings on the Curran side.

Martin Curran, My Grandfather, was one of at least a dozen siblings. I have spoken extensively of him, so I won't dwell on him at all.
I have decided to make a table showing them, and then dwell on whatever stories I know of any of them, because some of them, I know little, other than DOB’s and DOD’s, Once again, if anyone can add anything to this, or correct me, then I’m willing to alter this blog in the future.

Name
DOB
DOD
James(Jimmy)Curran
22 February 1868
27 May 1948
Patrick Curran
27 February 1870
4 April 1889
Peter Curran
20 January 1872
11 May 1929
Bridget(Biddy)Curran
14 May 1875
12 January 1963
John Curran
12 January 1877
‘died young’
Thomas Curran
No date
‘died young’
Francis(Frank)Curran
1866 or before
15 October 1930
Catherine(Kate)Curran
About 1856
15 May 1929
Anne(Nanny)Curran
30 January 1857
4 December 1884
Mary Curran
4 November 1858
27 April 1889
Sarah Curran
28 February 1865
17 September 1933


These are all the children of Francis Curran (1815-1899) and Sarah Doyle (1838-1886)
Now, John and Thomas died young, so not much known there. Patrick died when he was only 18, and Anne was only 27. Also Mary, who was only 30. I still have to see death certs for these, but it could be safe to assume that they could have died from the many epidemic infections that ravaged Ireland at that time.
Jimmy, as far as I know, did not marry, or have children. He lived and died in Drumphea, and worked as a labourer in the local farming industry.
Bridget also lived and died in Drumphea, and also didn’t marry, as well as her sister Sarah. I have been told that Sarah had red hair, and was a really good singer. Bridget or Biddy as she was known suufered all her life with scoliosis, a curved spine.
Peter married Anne sinnott from Newtownbarry(former name for Bunclody) they had a dairy shop in Bolton street, Dublin. They had eight children, and have many descendents around today. An unusual story about peter was, that when he died in 1929, the Curran family grave was opened in Drumphea and family had assembled there for his funeral, but he was actually buried in Newtownbarry cemetery, I have been told by people, that he came upon hard times in Dublin, and that his siblings were unwilling to help him. I am now assuming that at the time of his death, the Currans assumed he would go to Drumphea, but obviously there must have been some upset by his wife and children, and they decided to bury him in the Sinnott plot in Newtownbarry. I have met a representative of his descendents, Richard, who told me about peters descendents, many stories to tell, but not for today’s blog. It has also been said that Peter was a policeman in the DMP.
Frank Lived and died in Drumphea, but this time, he did get married to Winifred Dowling and had children. He was a farmer and lived with his family, and also Jimmy, Biddy and Sarah Curran in the family home. I have also met Tillie and Frank, who are his descendents. And they have told me all about his history.
Kate is the unusual one of the bunch, she went to America. At around the age of 20, she married a gentleman called Michael Ralph, who was from Bunnagurra, just the other side of the Blackstairs Mountains, they had a son called John Curran Ralph, and then they left to join Michael’s brother Thomas. That was the last the Currans saw of her. They made it there, but did not have any more children, and from what I can see, their son did not marry or have children, they are all buried together, including Thomas Ralph in St Patricks cemetery, Vernon county, Wisconsin.
If anyone can elaborate on any of this information, I welcome any input, and i will edit this blog accordingly

No comments:

Post a Comment