Total Pageviews

Wednesday 1 June 2011

The Brophys' and the Kellys'

Onto my wife's mother's side. My mother in laws mother and father were John Brophy and Eileen Kelly. Not much has been known about the Brophy side, but I can proudly say that I have taken a step or two forward in the time I have worked on this aspect of the family. John was born in the north city Dublin in 1908, it is not to clear what happened, but by the time of the census, his sister and himself are no longer with their parents and are living in Ringsend, Dublin, with possibly his aunt on his father’s side.
Upon questioning his children, it all appears very vague, though we do now know that Johns father, William is still alive and is seen in the 1911 census as living as a tenant in Capel Street. His trade description on this was a cork cutter. I went looking up at Glasnevin cemetery and asked around, they said there was a William who died in 1919 and was a cork cutter! Bingo! Though unfortunately it was an unmarked grave, but at least I found him.
Though I cannot say where William was from, though the aunt who John Brophy lived in Ringsend with, her maiden name was Brophy and she was born in Thomas Street in Dublin. But it has also been said that he was from county Carlow, which would not be too hard to say, as it is a relatively common name down in those parts.
William was married to Teresa Hayden, apparently I was told she was from county Louth, I tracked her down to being born in Mary Street, Drogheda. Another feather in my cap. I found out the name of her mum and dad, Michael Hayden and Teresa Walsh, Teresa subsequently moved out of Drogheda and down to Terrace Place in Dublin, and ended her days there. By the way this is where John Brophy was born. I also found the location of her grave in Glasnevin cemetery, though it is an unmarked one like Williams. But still no trace of Teresa Hayden junior, it has been said to me that she may have died when John was born and that is how he ended up with other family away from dad. But there are no records of a Teresa B dying around that time, though there is one for 1919, that will still have to be checked out. Apparently there is only one Teresa Brophy buried in Glasnevin for that period, but she is a child. This is quite a hard one but I have given it alot of time, and still wish to give it alot more.
Also, up in Drogheda, there is an old cemetery on Chord Road and I am very sure there are Haydens buried there, though when I went there, it was extremely overgrown and the gates were locked.
The mother in law’s mother was Ellen Kelly, better known as Sisse. Her family are alot more clear cut, she was born down in Gloucester Place in Dublin, to a very large family. Her father was William from county Carlow, and her mother was Margaret Farrell from Maddabawn county Cavan.
The kellys’ have many descendants and they all seem to be in touch, and with the brophys’ too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment