Total Pageviews

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Handy links

We all know that there are a million and five different places to go if you want to start looking into your irish roots, from my own experience, here is a selection of my faves.
This is  genealogy nirvana, the latter day saints church, have created a search database of god knows how many different countries, in all sorts of civil and parish sources. In relation to Ireland, it will give you a cross reference that you can look up relevant details for civil births, deaths and marriages, going back to 1864 for catholic records and 1845 for church of ireland. Have a go, look up your granny, I bet she's there!
The irish genealogy project, though some counties included in this, i must say are a little sparce on the info front, some are just an absolute gorge for a genealogical beast like myself. If you've got an interest in Carlow like me, you will see what i mean. these people must eat ,sleep and do whatever with the past on there mind. many a question has been answered on this one for me, and will continue to be i'm sure!
Up to september 2009 these lovely people from the national archive in dublin had the dublin county for the 1911 census available on the web, but now whoopee! it has gone NATIONAL!! Oh! happy day. It was amazing the amount of people I pulled from this is just outstanding. If your from across the way in uk or north america or oz, this is a good one to see where the family name stayed, when your ancestors done a runner from the famine, or poverty, or were just shipped out cos they were bad. You can find out where they came from, by seeing the family that remained until 1911 at least. Just a short footnote to this one, those wonderful people down the national archive now have the complete 1901 census online too! We can also look forward in the near future also to the 1926 census being made available too. It just doesn't get better than this, I have to say that this must be a definite first place to visit, when looking up your irish family history online
*****(5 stars) for this site
From where I am standing, which is very easily corrected by the way. Griffiths valuation was a survey of the heads of family, their landlords, the amount of land they had, how much it was worth, and the rent they paid. This was done in the mid 1800's, I know in Carlow it was 1854/5. So this may give you as it gave me a positive indicator of my great grandparents location, and told me about those bad british landlords, who just milked whatever shillings out of my poor ancestors, so they could get fatter. But also a great source for post famine genealogy.
As well as how to fix the washing machine, or how to make lassie do the latest trick, or how to tell a good joke, google has proved to be probably another hub of genealogical eden. You put in parish records ballyblahblah, county whatever, and chances are you'll get what you are looking for, and probably more. I found positive birth dates for grandparents, and so on.  but then would always end up looking for the best game of tetris online when i couldn't find something.
A list of graves in cemeteries around the world, whilst doing my genealogy, I met a man, who would go around cemeteries on the northside of dublin and take photographs of every grave he comes to, then he would email them to these people who would then transcribe them and then you have it. I found an absolute corker on this site, I was told of a great aunt who just upped and left to live in wisconsin, so I googled her and there she was, with all her family in Yuma, Wisconsin. Unbelievable.
Good news on this one, I was down in Glasnevin the other day, trying to find out about my ancestors, and the nice man behind the counter at reception, said that this site will be publishing a cross referencable database in april 2010, similar to the irish census records of 1911, as he put it. it means that now I don't have to go to them every month, and that you, maybe across the oceans will now now who where and when your ancestors are buried in Irelands biggest cemetery.
Though most things on this site you have to pay for, and you can see most of them for free on family search.org, the forums on here are great, but only if your from nth america/ oz etc, because they all talk of their GGGgrandmother, who was from so and so and her and the kavnaugh boys went over to oklahoma. good reading, though as well as that there are alot of free parish lists which are a brilliant source.
like ancestry but smaller.
forum wise i struck gold on this one, there are a bunch of family history heads on here, who are busting to see who comes in the door with there enquiry, and will go mad to help you, I have seen nothing but people thanking one another for the help and just wanting to please, after being put on a good sniff of a lead, by one of there fanatically helpful members, I got the bug and started joing in myself, this is a really helpful thing to do, because you can brush up on your own genealogical skills looking up for other people so you can dig yourself out of your own genealogical holes!!
I paid €10 to join this site, and there is alot going on, but absolutely nothing came of it, they ask you to put in a family tree, I put in 200 of mine, and then they potentially link up two that are the same, saying that you have a match like a pair of cards, for instance, say aunt bessie was born in 1900 and then angus mcfergus up in aberdeen has an aunt bessie too, born in 1900 they will give you the chance to contact angus. I have contacted hundreds of people on this site, and wasted much time trying to get my €10 worth, but i'm sorry to say, not a thing. though I am not slagging them, i'm sure another person will tell you they found there long lost brother or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment